I adapted this recipe from an old cookbook of my Nanny's. It featured apples and a bunch of sugars and butter so I adjusted it to our families allergies (which include apples) and came up with this. It is so simple, I throw it together all the time just before dinner for a evening snack with tea. Its sweet, comforting and super EASY, the best part! Did I mention you can make this in a rice cooker?! Yah, its pretty much the best recipe to keep in your tool box :)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cup flour (I use Bette Hagman's Four Flour Blend gfree mix found here)
- 3/4 cup sugar (or alternative sweetener)
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 egg ( or one flaxseed egg)
- 3/4 cup almond milk with vanilla flavour
- 2-4 pears, peeled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350, grease 8 inch pie plate
- Topping: In a small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon, set aside.
- Base: In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients and then mix in coconut oil with your fingers or pastry blender under resembles coarse crumbs. Add egg & milk and mix well. Spread half evenly in pan. Sprinkly evenly with half of topping mixture. Sprinkle with remaining base.
- Arrange pear slices over the top of cake, pushing them into the batter. Sprinkle with remaining topping. Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a tester inserted in the centre comes clean.
Note: Gluten free flour blends are great to have on hand to make baking a breeze. I like to take Sunday's to do my prep for the week ahead and it always includes adding a couple flour mixes as each mix is best suited to a certain type of recipe I find. A complete list of amazing blends can be found here. Bookmark it for easy reference!